Monday, March 30, 2009

My First Post

I have resisted the "series of tubes". I tried Facebook. Quit that after a month. Myspace. Gone. Twitter. Nope. Livejournal. Ha! But I feel blessed that I live in a society where I can express my opinion on virtually any venue I please. That is why I'm here.

I'm in my 20s. I have had several opportunities to vote in elections, but I never have. I'm tired of choosing between the lesser of two evils. Tired of ideologically inconsistent politicos, in the news, on the radio, in Congress. While I'm not a demagogue who thinks Congress is evil and all politicians suck, it is clear by our two-party system that politics is corrupting. At the very least, politicians are powerfully misguided. My personal political philosophy. It's very original. It's called FREEDOM. I subscribe to the idea that government should stay out of our wallets, our bedrooms and our bodies because frankly that's how a free society operates. I'm pro-choice on EVERYTHING. There is no politican in Washington DC today who advocates for real individual liberty. Not one who supports lower taxes, small government, a woman's right to chooose, gay marriage, legalizing drugs or any other thing that by definition are emblematic of a free country. I guess I'm a Libertarian. But I guess that's as appealling as being called a Scientologist.

I spend a lot of time reading articles and blogs and while the mainstream media and politicans disappoint, I take great comfort in the misanthropic writers who make me feel less alone: Andrew Sullivan, Christopher Hitchens, John Stossel, Salman Rushdie, Dave Barry.

No comments:

Post a Comment